Be wary of unsolicited appeals for Haitian earthquake disaster relief donations
Be especially cautious of unsolicited emails or web sites requesting your credit card numbers, account information, or other personal financial information
We all know by now that the tiny island nation of Haiti is in the midst of a disaster recovery effort of unthinkable proportions. Our hearts and sincere prayers go out to the citizens of Haiti and their relatives, friends, and loved ones, many of who now call Central Florida their home. While we, as part of an international community will lament over a death count that is predicted to exceed 100,000 people, the survivors of that disaster are truly in dire straights and are in urgent need of immediate assistance.
Sadly, when events of this magnitude occur in our world today, predators are quick to rise to the occasion to and attempt to profit from the generosity and good will of you and your fellow Americans.
The United States Government is currently organizing search teams, gathering supplies, and combining forces to assist the coordinated disaster recovery and relief efforts in Haiti. We know that many of you want to, in some way, assist with Haiti’s long road to recovery.
We strongly suggest that you ignore all unsolicited request for money or other items from any organization that you are not personally familiar with or directly involved in such as individuals asking for donations on street corners and bucket collections. Also, be especially wary of unsolicited emails that come to you with quick links to websites that make donating money to the international relief effort as simple as entering your credit card, banking, or other personal financial information.
We offer you the following local and national websites and phone numbers. The organizations associated with the contact information we have provided you have proven track records in dealing with disasters on the magnitude of the recent earthquake in Haiti.
Haiti Earthquake Relief Contributions
Trusted assistance resources, information, and links
- United States Department of State - Americans seeking information about family members can call 1.888.4747.
- American Red Cross, National - www.redcross.org
- American Red Cross, Central Florida - www.midforidaredcros.org
- American Red Cross International Response Fund - donations can be made by telephone at 1.800.REDCROSS or, en Espanol, 1.800.257.7575
- Salvation Army National website - www.salvationarmyusa.org
- Salvation Army National telephone number - 1.800.SALARMY
- Salvation Army Central Florida telephone number - 407.423.8581
- Harvest Time International - www.harvest-time.org
- Harris Rosen Foundation - Orlando Hotelier Harris Rosen has established a $250,000 relief fund to reach the Haitian community at this time of need. You can support this effort by sending your cash donation directly to Harris Rosen Foundation, Inc, a tax exempt-nonprofit organization, earmarking your donation to the Haiti Disaster Relief Efforts. If you choose this type of support, please send the check to the following address: 9840 International Dr. Orlando, FL 32819-8111.